UrtheCast – Have you heard of it? Possibly, possibly not, but whether you have or you haven’t, I implore you to read on as this could be the next big thing to happen to creative marketing.
We first came across UrtheCast through our Head of Digital, Luke. His unquenching thirst for tech, digital marketing and essentially all things geeky led him to attend a conference whereby Scott Larson, CEO of UrtheCast was delivering a talk on what UrtheCast is and what it can do.
So what exactly is UrtheCast?
UrtheCast, (pronounced “Earth-Cast” but so cleverly punned it deserves an award in itself), is a Vancouver based tech company that has been operating for approximately 4-5 years.
They’re goals are to provide affordable images and video to both the public and commercial institutes and grant insights as unseen before to businesses from space.
Its capabilities include:
- High-resolution photos – Masses of high-res photos of Earth are captured every day and anything as small as 1m in size can be seen and captured.
- Near real-time video feeds - You’ll be able to stream videos in near real-time, meaning you can watch as the International Space Station passes over various parts of Earth during the day.
- Dedicated Videos – Videos will be recorded and sent to UrtheCast’s website, available for download and sharing.
- API Development - Open sourced development allows developers to harness UrtheCast’s technology and utilise it how they see fit.
So how will UrtheCast affect the marketing industry?
Traditionally, space monitoring has been the domain of geo-political issues, government monitoring and agricultural/environmental industries to flag up things such as what North Korea are doing, crop farming, forestry and so on and so forth.
What UrtheCast intends to do though is put a commercial spin on what space can offer and that is through its model of being able to offer these photos, videos and feeds for people who require them for business intelligence.
Utilising this well can mean a significant advantage to future strategies for many companies. We’ve thought of a few ways you can use UrtheCast’s offering to boost your marketing performance.
1. Predicting Market Performance – One of the key usages of UrtheCast is being able to monitor, and in turn predict, areas which could affect market performances.
For instance, if you were in the coffee trade, UrtheCast has the ability to monitor coffee plantations and predict overall output for the year based on it’s imaging of the farms.
Companies can then derive their marketing strategies going forward based on how much coffee will subsequently cost, how they should set pricing strategies per quarter, what they can do on marketing to combat price increases/decreases etc.
2. Social Content - The dedicated videos that UrtheCast will be able to produce allow companies to stage large scale events and capture them via space to provide valuable and interesting content to be shared socially and in turn promote a message.
More interestingly, the near real-time video feeds means you’ll be able to time events for when the cameras pass over your area and stream it live to the public. The capacity for instantaneous, mass participation launch events, flash mob style events, tagging onto and upstaging things like World Cups and the Olympics could become a real viral, creative marketing phenomenon.
Indeed, UrtheCast’s own promotion uses a mock flash mob video that was captured by helicopter in Los Angeles:
To Conclude: Watch this space…
I’m using this most obvious pun here as it is apt to apply it to UrtheCast at the time of writing.
Whilst it has progressed fantastically well and we hear that it should be ready to roll out “very soon”, we still have yet to see what sort of pricing model will be set for the photos and data and so whether it is accessible and commercially viable is yet to be seen.
That said, we can’t wait to see what marketers can use UrtheCast for and how it can be expanded into our every day lives.
To explore more, visit UrtheCast’s website here: www.urthecast.com